For my roommate’s (belated) birthday, I promised her I would try a vegan recipe and post it on this blog to share. So here it goes!
To be honest, I’ve always been a little skeptical about vegan baked goods because how can baked goods be baked goods without butter AND eggs? Alas, these brownies have proved me wrong with their moist crumbles and rich, chocolatey goodness.
In fact, these brownies are not only delicious and vegan-friendly–they’re also very easy to make! Many vegan recipes require very special ingredients to make up for the lack of dairy, but I was pleasantly surprised when this recipe called for mainly flour, cocoa powder, sugar, oil, and water.
I attempted to document the baking process with some photos, but everything was mixed into one bowl so my pictures turned out a bit repetitive–even more evidence that this recipe is very easy to make! Nonetheless, here are some of the pictures I took. To get to the recipe and start baking, scroll down below.
Note: This recipe is originally from AllRecipes.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Pour in water, vegetable oil and vanilla; mix until well blended. Spread evenly in a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.